Friday, December 01, 2006

Southern Charms - Top Kannada-Telugu actress Laya




Interview of laya

How did you enter films?
I started getting offers while I was studying in 10the standard. But being a good student, my parents decided to wait and then my first film happened. Right now I am doing MCA through correspondence.

Your first film?
My first film was Hanuman Junction in Telugu opposite Srikanth. It was a remake of Tenkasipattanam from Malayalam.

Do you agree that Telugu industry is glamour oriented?
Yes I do agree that to survive in Tollywood heroine have to be glamourous. I have done about 30 films there, and was lucky to get a few good performance oriented roles. A lot of my fans have pleaded that I should never do glamour roles. I think that a heroine cannot last for a long period if you are branded as a glam-doll.

You are also a trained dancer?
I have been trained classical dancer and have done more than 50 stage shows. Vasumathi Ramalingashatrikal is my guru. I have to achieve more in dancing and is waiting for the right opportunity to continue my dance.

Thommante Makkal is the first film that you are doing in Malayalam?
Yes but it was Fazil sir who called me for a film Harikrishnans about two years back. But my commitments in Telugu did not allow me to give 30 days bulk dates.

So what is your role in Thommante Makkal?
It is a hilarious fun film I play Poonkavanam daughter of a thevar in the film who falls in love with Mammootty sir’s character.

Family?
My dad is a doctor and my mother is a radio artist and we live in Hyderabad

No comments: