Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Southern Charms - Ileana D'Cruz



Telugu Actress Ileana D'Cruz

Ileana D'Cruz (born 1987 in Mumbai ) is a popular South Indian film actress

She made her Telugu language debut through Y.V.S. Chowdhary's Devadasu opposite newcomer, Ram but has also done a Tamil language film and has recently signed a Hindi language film.

Ileana, who originally hails from Mumbai, India, had grown up in Mumbai and and currently resides at Goa. Before films, Ileana was modelling for quite some time and doing ads. She has three sisters and two brothers. Her father named her Ileana, a Greek name.

Telugu cinema's hottest heroine
August 23, 2006
She is the pretty face with an hour-glass figure and oodles of confidence who is rocking Telugu cinema. She was one of the models in the Fair and Lovely ad to be asked by director Rakesh Roshan if she would work in his film.

The lissome Ileana D'Cruz's first Telugu film, Devadasu, brought her notice, and her second film -- the blockbuster Pokiri -- showed she was clearly here to stay.

Producers are queuing up to sign her on and she is juggling three movies now. It may not be long before Rakesh Roshan beckons her.

Rediff.com met Telugu cinema's latest sensation, who is still to get out of her teens, at her 100-year-old beach-facing house in Mumbai.
The beginning

Ileana did not chart a systematic path to get into the film industry. Nor were movies on her mind, they just happened. Her route to the world of glamour and glitz was through modelling stints and ads done from the age of 16.

"I lived in Goa for about seven years. I was in class XII in Goa and the manager of the hotel where my mother worked said I should get into modelling. He fixed up a meeting with (former model) Marc Robinson who was also staying at the hotel. I was not keen to meet him but was persuaded to do so. He suggested I get a portfolio made. So in January 2003, I got my portfolio done. It was a disaster as I had no idea of lighting, poses etc. I just did it. There was nothing planned."

This portfolio won her the first contract -- a series of shoots for Hyatt, especially for their spa at Goa. And Ileana was not too comfy about doing it. "I was completely nervous and I had to do the ad with two other models. I did it and I thought I could go back to my studies. But that brought in more ramp shows. People slowly started noticing me..."

Cut to 2004. "I got a second portfolio done and this fetched me three ads -- Electrolux, Emami Talc, and Fair and Lovely. Fair and Lovely was the big one. It gave me the exposure and I enjoyed doing ads. I didn't think I would go further. I got some movie offers (in Hindi) but I was not ready to sign any film. Then I was given an air ticket to Hyderabad for a (Telugu) film audition conducted by director Teja. The audition went off well but that project didn't take off. Instead I signed YVS Choudhry's film Devadasu."

First film

Although she liked Devadasu's story, Ileana was apprehensive.

"I didn't know the language, couldn't dance or act. But the director Choudhry had confidence in me and encouraged me, urged me on saying I would make it. It was nerve-wracking and tough. There were so many people on the sets staring at you. I wasn't confident and so I decided I would go with the flow," she says.

"Shooting the songs was tough and though the director put me at ease and was patient, I felt pressured. I almost cried and didn't want to go further. Then my mom gave me the lecture of a lifetime one day at 3 am just after we came back from the shoot. She put sense into me, to give the project the best I could since it was a commitment we couldn't break. I came back because of my mom."

Before she ventured into acting in Devadasu, Ileana underwent some acting classes with Aruna Bhikshu. "I learnt about emotions, expressions and some theory. Actually working is a different experience altogether."

Filming Pokiri

Offers poured in while Ileana was shooting Devadasu. A M Rathnam approached her for Jadoo, while Puri Jagannath wanted her in Pokiri. "I was not too keen as Devadasu had not released and I wondered whether I have it in me to do another film. Manjula (who co-produced Pokiri and is Mahesh Babu's sister) was insistent and coerced me to do it. I felt good as I was wanted."

Did she have any apprehensions about doing a hero-centric film? "I did have but then I thought I could give it a shot."

She says "Mahesh is reserved while I am a chatterbox. He is a decent nice guy who is focused on his work. I learnt to focus more looking at him."

One scene she remembers is the one shot at Golconda fort when the heroine sees the hero fighting and pumping bullets. "Action director Vijayan master told me my expression in those sequences was important and it was so intense that I got goose-bumps. We went ahead for the second take and after that I was completely shaken that I cried for 15 minutes on the set after the shot." Ileana had a blast shooting for Pokiri. "Puri Jagannath (director) is chilled out and very open to ideas."

Future films

Jadoo is almost done. At the moment, Ileana is shooting for three films Munna (with Prabhas), a film directed by Krishnavamsi (with NTR Junior) and Rajasekhar (with Ravi Theja). Regarding her roles she only says: "Every role is different."

For all the three films her clothes will be designed by her mother Sameera.

Ileana would love to do a heroine-oriented film, on "somebody brave and bold and look up to."

For a reluctant beginner, she is now addicted to the greasepaint. "I never thought I would be in films. Now I can't do without doing films."

Though she is here to stay in Telugu films, she is also interested in doing Hindi films and open to work in a Tamil film. "I want to work with the best."
Personal interests

Ileana used to sketch a lot (a talent she inherited from her father). "Now I lost touch," she rues. She also used to sing English songs on stage and even auditioned for a band (but the band never took off). "I didn't have any style of my own but I could imitate any singer and sing the song."

She is an avid reader of Sidney Sheldon. "I have read all his books and am waiting for the new one."

Ileana loves being near the water and tried snorkelling too recently and enjoyed it.

If you thought her hour-glass physique is due to workouts, she surprises you by saying, "I am not a gym person. I just do some stretches and some exercises for the abs. Although I am a foodie, I eat in moderation and eat what I like."

Though she is busy acting, Ileana is also pursuing her graduation (2nd year) through correspondence from Bombay University.

Although she has earned name, fame and money, yet her feet are planted in terra firma. "My mother keeps me grounded."

Ileana is happy since she is doing well. "I am thankful for what I have got. I want to be the best in what I do," she signs of

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ILEANA is my favorite actress,i never seen any of her movies still she is my favorite