Monday, June 05, 2006

Carol Gracias

Image Hosted by Imagehigh.com

Film maker Madhur Bhandarkar plans to make a movie on model Carol Gracias' recent wardrobe malfunction at the Mumbai fashion week.

Ask Carol about it and she is rather surprised. "Is it? This is news to me,"she says. "Well, the movie, I'm sure, will be bad and badly made,"she laughs. Carol was suddenly in the limelight during the fashion week in Mumbai a few months ago, when her halter top slipped off on the ramp.

The manner in which she conducted herself, pulling back her top and completing her catwalk with poise, was much appreciated at the time.

But along with the appreciation, came the brickbats, where some politicians and activists accused the models (Carol and Gauhar Khan, whose skirt zip gave way on the ramp at the week) of doing these things for publicity.

"If I had done it for publicity, I would have been talking about it. I have never spoken on the issue and don't want to,"says Carol as she packs her bags for a month-long holiday to Amsterdam and Paris.

"It's a much deserved break after the past few months. I have been very busy working,"she informs. Does the ramp incident still haunt her? "I don't want to think about that or say anything. What do I say? People ask me what I felt at that point.

Why is everyone asking me this? I felt exactly what any other woman would feel if she was in my place,"she says. A wardrobe malfunction, she says, is just like a shoe coming off or a guy's button breaking.

"Haven't men broken their buttons a thousand times?"Carol, who has been on the fashion scene for the past seven years says fashion has come a long way.

"It's serious business today. It's no more viewed just as entertainment, but as trade that involves a huge number of buyers,"she insists.

Considering that a model's shelf life is a little limited, is she making other plans for the future? "In India, a model's shelf life is the longest I think.

Because here you start relatively young and can easily be doing it for long, if you're in good shape. About the future, I may be starting a business venture soon enough, even before I quit modelling,"she reveals.

No comments: