Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Monikangana Dutta

Monikangana Dutta

Free Image Hosting By ImagePundit.com

She’s a class apart from India’s current breed of models. Within the two years that she’s scorched the ramps, model Monikangana Datta has worked her way to becoming the most recognised and sought-after models.
The schoolgirl from Assam grew up as daddy’s little girl but soon knew that she would have to leave the scenic state behind if she wanted the world at her feet. “After finishing school, I shifted to Delhi for further studies and here’s when the Metropolitan Top Model Contest happened,” she says. “That was the turning point in my life. I ranked amongst the top five contestants. 25 countries participated and it was a big achievement to reach up to the top five. From then on, I’ve never looked back,” continues Datta, “As a growing girl, I observed how the girls walked and talked. It was my gut feeling that I would be a successful model. Only I didn’t know how to get into it. I knew nobody in the industry. Coming from Assam, I had no idea how to pursue or whom to approach. My father’s a doctor and my mom is a housewife. I was good in studies.”

After the Metropolitan Top Model contest, the aspiring model was picked up by French bookers who invited her to Paris in about a month. She adds, “I didn’t even believe it when they said that they would call me in January but they did. And then everything happened so fast that I found it difficult to get a grasp of the developments. Probably, my approach, height and looks worked for me. I call it a major achievement because the judges at the contest were all from Paris. The criteria were strictly as per the international norms.”

At Paris, the young girl led a tough life, and through the hard way, realised that modelling was not an easy profession. “I did the Paris Fashion Week and the Haute Couture show and many others. But all through the five months, castings kept me busy. Modelling is not an easy thing to do there. It’s hardcore and they definitely mean business. Not everyone can become a model there. You need that extra thing in you to be a model in Paris. The exposure is unparalleled and the money is so much, it’s crazy. Models are respected a lot. But it’s not very easy to break that market primarily because they are racists. They prefer blondes with blue eyes. Their second preference is the Asian girl and then comes the Indian girl. My bookers had to really push me a lot times. But Emanuel Ungaro, the well-known fashion designer, shocked me when he liked me instantly,” she says.

Sub-consciously, Monikangana gets down to comparing the two frontiers of fashion destinations. She recalls, “In India, modelling is a joke. Girls are signed up randomly. The attitude here is laidback. Lately, I’ve felt that professionalism is setting in. In Paris, however, the working culture is poles apart. I used to go for 20 castings everyday. Many a time, I didn’t have the time to eat too. It was that crazy. From 10 am to 8 pm, I would only be attending casting sessions without knowing whether the job would come to me or not. Out of those 20 castings, I would get only a couple of shows at times. And that was tough even for the bookers because they get a model to Paris only if they feel they can make money out of the model.”
Despite adulations pouring in from globally acknowledged designers, the tug from home was far too strong to keep the Indian pride in Paris. “I felt like Alice in Wonderland. It was the first time I was abroad and away from my parents. I didn’t know the language and it was snowing and raining at the same time. It’s nostalgic! I lived with two gays for three months,” she chuckles. The trip away from home ended in just five months when the gorgeous model came to India on a break, though her contract with the agency promised her a dream stay of two years! “Yeah, I just didn’t return to Paris. They naturally didn’t like it. They sent a mail to my father saying it’s a breach of contract and that we’d have to pay Rs five lakh. But I was good with my manager, Liza, and godmother Nadia so they helped me out.”

“This is the biggest regret of my life. Neither did I graduate nor did I stay back in Paris to evolve as an international model. But then I always wanted to be there and the Paris contract was a dream coming true. I didn’t even have a portfolio done. They took some Polaroid pictures of my front, back and side profile. I didn’t even know how to walk on the runway. I learnt it in Paris, while on the job. Before every casting we were told how to walk, what to wear and what exactly the designer was looking for. It was not hard for me because I put my heart and soul into it.”

Her aborted Paris trip did not ruin her prospects of starring in the big league of modelling. “People from Delhi’s fashion industry knew me when I returned. I was beseeched by offers. The struggle then was just a bit, till I got a foothold in the industry. Probably, I didn’t value it because I got everything easily at a very young age,” she says. Having walked the ramp for almost every Indian fashion designer, Monikangana is now eyeing the international scene once more. This time, she’s equipped herself with supreme confidence and the yearning to make it big across the globe. She states, “When I went to Paris, I didn’t realise what I had. I do regret coming back. It’s my fault. But I am trying to rectify it to the best of my ability. During my recent trip to the US, I visited at least 70 agencies. A few have responded but this time I want to go with full preparation. I won’t be homesick too because I have been living alone for quite some time now. I want to move there for good but I am still thinking about it. This is a good opportunity and I won’t let it go. My gut feeling is that with my confidence and attitude, I’ll soon make a mark in the US.”

Monikangana is, however, not quite happy with the goings-on in the domestic fashion industry. The price-cutting is harming the business, she feels. “The foreign models have spoiled our market. Most of them do not have a proper work permit. They work on a tourist visa and no one even knows about it. Somebody should take action against them; they are staying illegally and taking the work meant for the Indian models. Even photographers are to be blamed for this. They all work at extremely low costs because to these models and the photographers, high visibility is of prime importance.”

What about Bollywood? “No. Never. I don’t see myself doing movies. It’s not my cup of tea. I get lot of offers but I don’t think I am meant for movies. I don’t like Bollywood but since I hang out with a lot of filmi people, I am forced to watch their movies,” she says.

Known for her fiery temper, Monikangana is dreaded in the green room and even by journalists. She laughs, “I am an introvert and take a lot of time to open up. I am very shy and loyal too. But I don’t know why people think I am very daring and gutsy. Actually, when I lose my temper I can do anything. I don’t see where I am, what I am saying and to whom. Honestly, yes, I am very daring.”
Modelling offers a very short shelf life and Monikangana is already contemplating an alternate means of survival. “I want to start a restaurant business in Goa and am looking out for a place. It’s a wonderful place and is peaceful even though it’s completely commercial. But I don’t know when that will happen because I have to be pushed to do things. But honestly, I am serious about the restaurant,” she says.

Still in her early twenties, Monikangana has now chalked her next course of action. Her zeal to excel and the urge to cut across continents are far too overwhelming. Her big, expressive eyes are her biggest assets and even as she soaks in the admiration, she knows she has to live up to their expectations. “I have to make India proud. And I will,” says the determined beauty.

No comments: